ULTRASPEC optics page
8 September 2014
This page brings together all of the documents and data files related
to the ULTRASPEC optical design. The optics were designed
by Tully Peacocke, manufactured
by ICOS, and are described
MNRAS paper. The list below is in reverse chronological order, so
the higher up the list the more recent the file.
- Zemax file of the as-built ULTRASPEC optics.
- Adhesives AGF file for ULTRASPEC.
- Spreadsheet comparing the as-built lenses with the original design.
- Zemax file of the as-built TNT from Christophe Buisset (NARIT), with an accompanying email and powerpoint presentation.
- Zip archive containing the original ULTRASPEC
optical design sent for manufacture to ICOS, in the form of a word document
describing the design and JPEG drawings of each lens, plus the associated
ULTRASPEC Zemax file and (assumed) TNT Zemax file.
Throughput curves for each component of the ULTRASPEC system are listed
below, along with the total throughput of the instrument as a function of
wavelength, courtesy of Liam Hardy.
- Atmospheric transmission at airmass 1
for the TNT, where we've added 10% to the Observatorio del Roque de
los Muchachos (also at altitude ~2400m) values.
- Individual lens transmissions for each
of the lenses in the ULTRASPEC lens barrels, including both reflection losses
at each surface and absorption losses due to the as-built thickness of each
lens. Note that this does not include the losses due to the cement in the
doublets - see below.
- Total lens transmission for all of the lenses,
not including the filter and the adhesives used in the doublets, i.e. all of
the columns in the item above multiplied together.
- Liam's lens spreadsheet, which
contains the AR coating throughput for each lens and the absorption losses
due to the as-built thickness of each lens in separate columns.
- Transmission of the cement used in the two ULTRASPEC doublets, NOA88 (between lens 4 and 5) and
RTV615 (between lens 6 and 7).
- SDSS filter transmission, as measured by Asahi
for our as-built filters.
- CCD QE of the ULTRASPEC EMCCD, with e2v's standard mid-band anti-reflection coating.
- Total throughput of ULTRASPEC,
including the atmosphere (airmass 1 at the TNT), telescope mirrors
(uncoated Aluminium, x4), lenses, lens AR coatings, adhesives and CCD QE,
for each filter (u', g', r', i', and z').
- Liam's throughput spreadsheet, in ods
and xlsx formats, which uses all of
the above data to calculate the total throughput of ULTRASPEC.